4.21.2010

Profiles


One of my favourite illustrations has always been silhouetting. I think it's so fun to layer them, or leave them plain and simple for a nice, stark contrast to crisp white paper. Recently, I've been seeing the work of Jenny Lee Fowler popping up all over the world wide web. Fowler's art has been featured in print/ online in House Beautiful, Martha Stewart Living, OhDeeDoh, Elle Decoration South Africa, Craft, Small Magazine, Inhabitots, The Frisky, etc. Her custom illustrations are really delicate and wonderful, but it's the nature inspired leaf and birch series that has captured my heart!

Though I have done a decent amount of profiles in my day, checking external drives for work is such a daunting task! Here is an old Save the Date card I did awhile back for my brother and his lovely wife. It's simple, the first sample I could find.

This sweet lady also has some great art. Aside from some interesting profiles, I adore her drawing/ painting style, PLUS she has a dainty little swan sewing pattern, and the cutest name to boot.

Ages ago, I spent the better part of a year finding A Child's Garden of Verses with the silhouetted illustrations (there are many publications, versions, and illustrators to these wonderful stories). Eventually I ended up with TWO vintaged copies. I never did get a tattoo from one of the pretty drawings as was my original intent.



Today I googled "Paris Hilton's British Best Friend". I watched it last night while babysitting. Y'all, it's GOOD. I have a love/ hate relationship with Meddy (and maybe with the show in general).

4 comments:

jen said...

this is lovely! thank you for featuring one of my prints! and your blog is gorgeous. :)

NiTasha said...

oh i love silhouettes so much! annnnd you.

Lauren Winter said...

Colleen! you might love this etsy shop, then - I think her papercut prints are really beautiful.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/elsita?ga_search_query=elsita&ga_search_type=seller_usernames

Unknown said...

Elsita's stuff is great too! Thanks for sharing, Lauren.